Do Nice Guys Finish Last?

I hear all the time how nice guys finish last, and I have to disagree with that statement. I believe too often people associate a nice guy as being a pushover or a doormat. Just like anything else a virtue has a vice. The truth is you can be too much of something, and it can turn into your weakness.

The term nice guy is usually thought of someone who is overly nice to others and gets taken advantage of. My thought is are you really that nice if you cannot be nice to yourself as well. Nice is a world that must be associated with balance. So to have healthy levels of niceness is not a bad thing. It becomes bad when you take it to a level where you have no boundaries and will do everything for others and nothing for yourself.

So the truth is one must take responsibility and realize that being nice to the point it is destructive is bad for you and bad for the person you are being overly nice to.

Just like my video explains we are all 1’s at the end of the day. Do not let others believe they are better than you and the same is true to not let others think they are worse than you either. Stand for your beliefs, because you will attract the ones who stand for them as well.

Remember that feeling you had when you felt on top of the world. When you feel that way you do not want to break others down, but at the same time you stand up for yourself if others try to break you down. That is what healthy nice is. Wanting the best for yourself and others, but not compromising your morals and beliefs just to make someone like you.

So go ahead and be nice. Just be the right kind of it. Make sure others respect you. The truth is nice and respected guys/girls often times finish first

Please follow and like us:
error

Comments (14)

1. Babsie Wagner

We are all children of God with our own special gifts and talents, and I truly believe that no one person is better than another, although we are all quite different.  I think being nice is what Jesus taught us to do, to treat each other in a kind and generous fashion, and following what was taught is never a bad idea.  I treat others in the way in which I would hope to be treated, and I feel it has served me well, as I have a world of people I feel I can depend on when I, too, need a hand.  I love the end of your article, where  you state, “The truth is nice and respected guys/girls often times finish first.”  Being respected is something it took me a while to learn, and I have been taken advantage of in my time, but overall, I would rather be nice than not.  Great article!  Love it.

• Clifford Starks

Thanks for your comment Babsie. It sounds like you have a wealth of experience and I am glad you are doing so well for yourself. I love your attitude, keep being kind 🙂

2. Linda

I believe society has made a horrible judgement on nice men who have etiquette. This is how many were called girls, weak and were undermined. Then identity problems arose in the world as men lost their identity. Though I am a  female, I know men do not have it easy. However, I recommend all men to have etiquette and to build yourselves up in the Lord so whatever ignorant people have to say, will not get you you. For you shall be the light in the darkness.

• Clifford Starks

Hi Linda, thanks for the comment. I  will say the only way to get darkness out is with light:)

3. Stephen

I enjoyed reading this and watching your video!

I think you’re spot on when you say we need to make sure others respect us. So many people are trying so hard to be ‘liked’ all the time. This often leads to being superficial and fake. If we focus on being ourselves and serving others by doing what we love then I believe respect inherently comes with that. I also think it’s vitally important we don’t change our views and opinions just to please others, I see this so often on a day to day basis!

Keep up the great content!

• Clifford Starks

I 100% agree with you Stphen, be yourself and stand by your values. Everything else will work itself out. Thank you for the comment.

4. charles39

Their nothing deming to a man than being a push over or doormat that is worst of all that a man can go through.but one thing I know nice guys don’t finish last but they take time in their work and comes out at the top.but being nice, respectful, will always go along way

• Clifford Starks

Yes very true the combination of being nice and respected go a long way. It’s true might take a bit longer, but the connections you build with others is more than worth it. Thank you for your comment.

5. Clement

Thank you for your post, it makes a lot of sense to me, oftentimes people always take guys that are nice for granted, I believe being nice doesn’t mean someone should not have principles or boundaries.I can’t agree less with you that a nice guy shouldn’t be a push over or a complete dumb individual.

• Clifford Starks

Glad you agree. Yes standing up for yourself while being nice is a great way to be.

6. Seun Afotanju

I Completely agree when you said been a nice guy doesn’t necessarily mean you have to please others and forget about yourself in most cases people want you to please them and displease you and when you ignore them, they tend to make you feel bad about yourself. I guess we should be ourselves and not been too nice.

• Clifford Starks

True Seun, being nice is powerful. Been nice to others just make sure to be nice to yourself too.

7. Alvaro

I’ve been considere a nice guy since I was in high school. At first it was fine but in the end it didnt help me on the long run. By nice I mean not not stepping up when I had to or when I wanted something really bad. Being nice can be a pain and you have to look at yourself in the mirror to see your true reflexion. At the end it wasn’t me, I had to be real and just do what I love to do and not think about what others may think. Finding myself was game changer, thanks to my wife. I was too soft without any convictions and real opinion. I’m a brand new man now. Thanks for your post my friend! Al